SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Sabres

Photo

BRAND NORTH AMERICANS AS OUR FUTURE NOT EUROPEANS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#21 BTbird2

BTbird2

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Poe, you never answered the question. Who are all these boss rookies that are tearing up the league? There are two that are actually playing well in Yakupov and Galchenyuk, and from them they have 3 of 4 European parents (Russian). So who are the great rookies, and whom amoung them are North Americans as you proclaim are just better?

BINGO. 2 guys out of 200+ players in the draft are doing well so we must cut ties with Grigorenko. Sounds like an armchair QB decision to me.
Posted Image

Formerly known as BTbird before GAMECENTER messed up my account in their database...

#22 lsendel

lsendel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

BINGO. 2 guys out of 200+ players in the draft are doing well so we must cut ties with Grigorenko. Sounds like an armchair QB decision to me.

I understand emotional outbursts, but wanting to get rid of one of our best assets after 20 games, because number 1 ad 3 in the draft are having good seasons for their clubs. That would seem like 2 steps forward, 3 steps back.....

#23 hockman1982

hockman1982

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

This whole thread is the reason why I feel Grigs should be returned to the Q. There's now a movement to rip the kid because he can't perform magic on a dysfunctional team that just fired it's coach? Really?

Buddha sez: "Gotta get it in yer soul, baby!"

#24 badnewspoe

badnewspoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Poe, you never answered the question. Who are all these boss rookies that are tearing up the league? There are two that are actually playing well in Yakupov and Galchenyuk, and from them they have 3 of 4 European parents (Russian). So who are the great rookies, and whom amoung them are North Americans as you proclaim are just better?

hmm lets see..

Cory Conacher
Jonathan Huberdeau
Justin Schultz
Brendan Gallagher
Dougie Hamilton
Drew Shore
Paul Postma
Patrick Wiercioch
Tye McGinn
Jordan Schroeder
Simon Despres
Tyson Barrie

and so on and so on and so on and so on..

#25 BTbird2

BTbird2

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

hmm lets see..

Cory Conacher
Jonathan Huberdeau
Justin Schultz
Brendan Gallagher
Dougie Hamilton
Drew Shore
Paul Postma
Patrick Wiercioch
Tye McGinn
Jordan Schroeder
Simon Despres
Tyson Barrie

and so on and so on and so on and so on..

Hmm lets see what year each of these kids were drafted.

Cory Conacher - 2008 draft class, 23 years old now
Jonathan Huberdeau - 2011
Justin Schultz - 2008
Brendan Gallagher - 2010
Dougie Hamilton - 2011
Drew Shore - 2009
Paul Postma - 2007 (24 years old now!!!!)
Patrick Wiercioch - 2008
Tye McGinn - 2010
Jordan Schroeder - 2009
Simon Despres - 2009
Tyson Barrie - 2009

Do you honestly not understand that Grigorenko was just drafted as an 18 year old in 2012? Can you now comprehend what it means for a kid to do better as a 21 year old rookie who spent a few extra years in development rather than a teenager who jumpred right into the NHL? Do you now understand why people like myself were saying that it wouldn't be so bad to send him back to the Q before he hit his 5 game mark?

Are you going to write off an 18 year old kid because he was thrown to the wolves while you compare him against a bunch of 20 something year old kids who had multiple more years to develop their game?

This is why I said to send him back to the Q, I was saying it back in January. Whatever you do, you don't write off Grigorenko as a soft European just because a bunch of Canadian boys went back to the juniors for a few years and then some even went to the AHL after that and THEN made their NHL rookie debut in their 20's.
Posted Image

Formerly known as BTbird before GAMECENTER messed up my account in their database...

#26 badnewspoe

badnewspoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Hmm lets see what year each of these kids were drafted.

Cory Conacher - 2008 draft class, 23 years old now
Jonathan Huberdeau - 2011
Justin Schultz - 2008
Brendan Gallagher - 2010
Dougie Hamilton - 2011
Drew Shore - 2009
Paul Postma - 2007 (24 years old now!!!!)
Patrick Wiercioch - 2008
Tye McGinn - 2010
Jordan Schroeder - 2009
Simon Despres - 2009
Tyson Barrie - 2009

Do you honestly not understand that Grigorenko was just drafted as an 18 year old in 2012? Can you now comprehend what it means for a kid to do better as a 21 year old rookie who spent a few extra years in development rather than a teenager who jumpred right into the NHL? Do you now understand why people like myself were saying that it wouldn't be so bad to send him back to the Q before he hit his 5 game mark?

Are you going to write off an 18 year old kid because he was thrown to the wolves while you compare him against a bunch of 20 something year old kids who had multiple more years to develop their game?

This is why I said to send him back to the Q, I was saying it back in January. Whatever you do, you don't write off Grigorenko as a soft European just because a bunch of Canadian boys went back to the juniors for a few years and then some even went to the AHL after that and THEN made their NHL rookie debut in their 20's.

They are all considered ROOKIES, when they we're drafted doesn't matter; this is their 1st season in the NHL. NHL.com lists them as rookies as do every other source to cite these players. Thats Buffalo's fault for playing Grigorenko before he could learn North American hockey. Too bad for him since he's playing on this team, hes going to take some of the blame. Foligno is considered a rookie as well to back up what I'm saying. Foligno is doing better than Grigorenko which my statement North Americans should be our future.

I'm not writing him off but he's gonna feel the heat for being on a loosing team instead of developing properly like the names mentioned above. Just because he's 18 we should excuse the poor play and his habit of getting caught flat footed. On a 48 game season there is no room for errors. The other 2 guys Yakupov and Galchenyuk are doing better then him and the rest got sent down. Well he should have got sent down to because 1g and 2a in 19 games isn't exactly superstar material. Not even a glimmer of superstar there.

not to mention his one goal wasn't even pretty.

#27 BTbird2

BTbird2

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

They are all considered ROOKIES, when they we're drafted doesn't matter; this is their 1st season in the NHL. NHL.com lists them as rookies as do every other source to cite these players. Thats Buffalo's fault for playing Grigorenko before he could learn North American hockey. Too bad for him since he's playing on this team, hes going to take some of the blame. Foligno is considered a rookie as well to back up what I'm saying. Foligno is doing better than Grigorenko which my statement North Americans should be our future.

I'm not writing him off but he's gonna feel the heat for being on a loosing team instead of developing properly like the names mentioned above. Just because he's 18 we should excuse the poor play and his habit of getting caught flat footed. On a 48 game season there is no room for errors. The other 2 guys Yakupov and Galchenyuk are doing better then him and the rest got sent down. Well he should have got sent down to because 1g and 2a in 19 games isn't exactly superstar material. Not even a glimmer of superstar there.

Now you are just catching up to what we've been saying since the lockout ended. It has nothing to do with him being a Russian and everything to do with him being a true rookie just drafted last spring. Of course when Jerry Sullivan is writing articles before training camp starts demanding that Grigorenko make the team and it would be a crime if he didn't not to mention people repeatedly coming around here and saying "what else does he have to prove in the juniors" you can see how we fight with each other on these issues.

He's here now. We burned a year of his contract. There's nothing we can do about that. What you can do is stop calling for us to cut ties with him and stop calling him a soft European because he will develop at the same pace of 99% of other NHL players. You know, like all the "rookies" you listed.
Posted Image

#28 l48

l48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

Foligno is considered a rookie as well to back up what I'm saying. Foligno is doing better than Grigorenko which my statement North Americans should be our future.

Memo to anyone new to hockey. Rookie just means your first full year in the league. Foligno is 3 years older than Grigs. In those 3 years he had 2 extra years playing at Sudbury and 1 extra year for the Amerks in which he even played 14 games for Buffalo. That's why he is more developed than Grigs.

This North American rant makes you sound like Don Cherry on his worst days. Do you look under your bed before you turn the lights off at night to make sure there are no Russians under your bed?

#29 lsendel

lsendel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

I'm glad I had to work tonight, so I didn't have to answer these posts. Are you clueless to age? I understand your want to win NOW, but calling out an 18 year old rookie and saying we should use him as trade bait for an older kid is fine, but now how your going about it. Either way, I think your wrong, and so would any NHL GM, not just ours. If you have Grigo, you don't give him up based on the 20 games he's played.

#30 lsendel

lsendel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

but not* (meaning that just because he's Euro, drop him like a bad habit)

#31 badnewspoe

badnewspoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

So what!? he's 18? why is he playing in the NHL then? age is an excuse to everyone here on this board to be able to wet the bed every game? If you look at the rookies this year and YES MOST ARE OLDER but THERE ARE REASONS FOR THAT. They are NHL READY, they learned the game in the AHL and are ready to make a splash. As soon as Grigorenko stayed in the NHL now he's going to be compared to other NHL rookies. Blame management for that but just because he's 18 doesn't excuse him from being judged. Go down to the AHL if you want judgement saved on you like NORMAL young drafties minus the exception of Yakupov and Galchenyuk who are the real winners in this years draft.

Age is really the dumbest excuse cause all I gotta say to that is THEN DONT PLAY IN THE NHL AT 18.. SIMPLE

#32 BTbird2

BTbird2

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

So what!? he's 18? why is he playing in the NHL then? age is an excuse to everyone here on this board to be able to wet the bed every game? If you look at the rookies this year and YES MOST ARE OLDER but THERE ARE REASONS FOR THAT. They are NHL READY, they learned the game in the AHL and are ready to make a splash. As soon as Grigorenko stayed in the NHL now he's going to be compared to other NHL rookies. Blame management for that but just because he's 18 doesn't excuse him from being judged. Go down to the AHL if you want judgement saved on you like NORMAL young drafties minus the exception of Yakupov and Galchenyuk who are the real winners in this years draft.

Age is really the dumbest excuse cause all I gotta say to that is THEN DONT PLAY IN THE NHL AT 18.. SIMPLE

Do you not read all our other threads and posts about the pros and cons of calling up an 18 year old? We aren't making excuses, we are dealing with reality.

And if you are going to talk about being NHL ready, spending time in the AHL, stop this garbage that he is just bad because he's a Euro. As for talk of how Yakupov and Galchenyuk are the real winners, gee really, the #1 and #3 overall picks are the real winners and not the #12 pick on the 4th line of a team that just fired its coach? Never mind, I will just converse with this other fan below.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Sabres.NHL.com is the official Web site of the Buffalo Sabres. The Buffalo Sabres and Sabres.NHL.com are trademarks of the National Hockey League.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2010 Hockey Western LLC and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.

PRIVACY POLICY | TERMS AND CONDITIONS | OFFICIAL PARTNERS | CONTACT US | EMPLOYMENT/INTERNSHIPS | NHL.com TERMS OF USE | SITE MAP
  Buffalo Junior Sabres Buffalo Sabres Alumni Association Buffalo World Juniors Rochester Americans First Niagara Center Buffalo Bandits