SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Sabres

Photo

Is this the worst Sabres team ever?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 MES2

MES2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

I've been a Sabres fan since 1976. After watching them tonight I actually tried to remember a worse team that the Sabres have iced. I couldn't. How does a team lead a game for for 59 minutes and 20 seconds and lose? This team is the best at finding ways to lose and I don't think it matter who plays, who coaches or who owns the team. When TP bought this team and made those bold statements giving us all hope that we could finally taste success....never in a million years did I expect us to end up here. I can only laugh so I don't cry or break something.

Pitiful.

#2 GM4ADAY_Coach2

GM4ADAY_Coach2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

Not necessarily the worst team they've put on the ice......just playing like it :-) :-) :-)

#3 thesabredance

thesabredance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

It's probably the most disappointing, aggravating season that I can recall.  Thank God it's only half a season.  :(

And the worst part is, there's no easy fix.  It's not like last year where we had the delusion of injuries.  This year, we've had very few injuries and they're actually worse than last year.  The only bright spot is that Hodgson looks like he's a guy we can keep but I'm actually longing for the days of Marc Andre Grangnani. 

It's tough when Ville Leino is suddenly becoming the most pleasant surprise on your team.

#4 GM4ADAY_Coach2

GM4ADAY_Coach2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

There are some other bright spots.....such as ----we are only 6points from a top pick and Tropp is back playing with Amerks sooner than was anticipated. :-)

#5 Sabrenation2011

Sabrenation2011

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

This team is worse than the teams where Hasek basically got us to the Cup by himself.

#6 yse325

yse325

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

In a word....."Yes".  I have watched every season played by this team and I mean every one,  This is the worst, because on paper, this team has playoff caliber talent and shouldn't be flirting with the worst record in the league.  Granted our 3rd and 4th lines are awful and our D are not a properly constituted group and haven't been since Tallinder left town.

That the said, the biggest problem is that this team is simply under-performing.  They play well enough to get 2 goal leads and then simply fall apart.  Their mental approach is the awful.  They are also coached poorly.  How many clearing passes through the middle which get intercepted until you learn not to do it anymore?  They haven't stopped making that play all season and it costs us game after game.  

Time to Rebuild - let's trade some vets.

#7 Jman86

Jman86

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

1986 was pretty awful - talent was there too.

#8 yse325

yse325

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

They were very similar.  Young and unproven centers.  A mixed bag on D with vets and youth but 1986 had even worse goaltending, especially when you consider the goaltenders (a ROY in Barrasso, a solid pro in Cloutier and rookie Darren Puppa).  

The biggest difference is that the solid core there was still developing.  Andreychuk, Barrasso, Housley, Ruuttu, Cyr, Tucker, Reekie, Krupp and Cregihton; all these guys were in their first couple of NHL season and had been drafted in the 2-3 years prior to that season.  It's those players who were the top players on the team, with the exception of Folgino and Mike Ramsey.

The current team has a couple of those guys.  CoHo, Foligno, Ennis, & Myers, but the leaders on this team are holdovers Stafford, Pominville, Vanek, and Miller, with newcomer vets Regehr, Ehrhoff and Ott.  All these guys should be better then they are and all should have been able to lead this team forward instead of the abyss.

1986 sucked, but at least we were enjoying watching the talented kids improve, no such luck today.

#9 GM4ADAY_Coach2

GM4ADAY_Coach2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Yes 1986 was bad and so does this year.

With that said.....look at the result from 1986

Pierre Turgeon---1st overall pick in 1987

There is still hope for this year yet :-) :-) :-)

#10 MES2

MES2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

Again tonight, 50 plus minutes of good hockey, albeit not taking our chances when we had them. Then blown coverage times two by Sekera and another L. As bad as they are a win tonight could have had them a single point out of 8th!

When you dig through the problems the glaring issue is the inability of the PP to score. The bright spot is no SH goal against tonight. 0 for 4 is unacceptable. This means to me we are deluding ourself that we have the talent. Talented teams have good PP. maybe it's the lack of a difference maker, a big play man. Someone to take a game and break it open. Vanek can be that guy but it seems to me he is often playing injured. Leadership is obviously another lacking merit of this team. In fact I am starting to think they don't like each other.

Florida and Tampa in the basement and in comes Buffalo to give them some points. Boston struggling and here comes the Sabres.

We are the laughing stock. Losing is bad enough but losing the way we lose is the real issue. The lack of emotion kills me. I get more emotional than the players do. My white flag us up, way up firm and high.

#11 BuffaloKnight

BuffaloKnight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,425 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

Is this the worst Sabres team ever?  

I cannot answer that question until the season is over.  I will say with the way the team is playing, starting games strong and failing to finish, it is one of the worst teams this organization has iced.  Reasons can be targeted to players underachieving, a flawed playbook from a former coach and the inability to fill specific holes, some that have existed for years.

#12 derralict

derralict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

YES!

Getting worse every game!

Dont worry though.....Darcy will fix it up.

#13 BuffaloKnight

BuffaloKnight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,425 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:39 AM

Only the team can fix itself.  Players need to play better, coaches need to throw out Ruff's system and play far better hockey, and the front office needs to address depth and positional concerns with better players.

#14 modiusone

modiusone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

Only the team can fix itself.  Players need to play better, coaches need to throw out Ruff's system and play far better hockey, and the front office needs to address depth and positional concerns with better players.

Gotta disagree here.

This is why we need to clea things out and bring in new players and talent --- and a new coach.  One of my biggest WTF's of this season is why fire lindy now to bring in only an interim coach?  The players NEED clear direction, and Rolston is not that answer - not because he isn't potentially a good coach, but because the GM doesn't even trust him to be his own coach - why throw lindy out but keep using his playbook (which seeing how we play, I do feel like Rolston is just trying to be Lindy and not trying to be his own entity - this may be because he knows and knew this was a temp job).  It is clear to me now that we need bold moves for the future, not for right now.  

#15 derralict

derralict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

Gotta disagree here.

This is why we need to clea things out and bring in new players and talent --- and a new coach.  One of my biggest WTF's of this season is why fire lindy now to bring in only an interim coach?  

Why an interim coach? Hopefully because Ted Black wanted to see what a different coach can do with the roster Ruff was given and see if the results were different. The results are not different. Maybe now the Sabres can move on to the real problem of this team and that is the decision making ability of Darcy Regier. He should go at years end and at that time a new GM should be hired. When that happens the new GM will hire a new coach and the GM will make some roster moves to start the new coach's and new GM's career here in Buffalo in a new direction. I am crossing my fingers.

GO SABRES!

#16 bill_schultz

bill_schultz

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

I've been a Sabres fan since 1976. After watching them tonight I actually tried to remember a worse team that the Sabres have iced. I couldn't. How does a team lead a game for for 59 minutes and 20 seconds and lose? This team is the best at finding ways to lose and I don't think it matter who plays, who coaches or who owns the team. When TP bought this team and made those bold statements giving us all hope that we could finally taste success....never in a million years did I expect us to end up here. I can only laugh so I don't cry or break something.

Pitiful.

Naw...I'd say the 1986-87 team was worse,

so was the team we had after Hasek left (01-02?)...

No more Goat
No more Slug
Just Buffalo
and Sabres
and maybe one day
a Stanley Cup !

#17 dcsabresfan

dcsabresfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

I'm really sad. 2-3 year rebuilding? Darcy will still be around. Rolston takes a shower everyday so he will be the coach and Sabres fans just have to get used to it.

#18 thesabredance

thesabredance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

I think there have been plenty of teams that have been "worse" but this one certainly is in the top three of most frustrating, agonizing to watch.

If a team is bad because they're bad, well what are you gonna do?

But if they have some talent and still play bad......ugh.

#19 badnewspoe

badnewspoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

YES!

Getting worse every game!

Dont worry though.....Darcy will fix it up.

I sense your strong sarcasm sir. I only hope Darcy does too or you have just inflated his head.

#20 yse325

yse325

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

I guess the Sabres are in sell mode.  Team is getting worse by the trade. :) We might just secure a top draft pick. Wow!

Did you know that the Sabres have only had the top pick twice (Perreault and Turgeon) and have never picked 2nd, 3rd or 4th.  We have drafted 5th five times (Vanek, Shawn Anderson [Brian Leetch was taken 4 picks later -ooops], Barrasso, Schoenfeld and Martin).

So who next now that Adam is back.  Is this just for Leino or Vanek's injuries or is something else brewing?

I'm pretty sure now that this is the worst Sabres team ever.  The interesting think is that the rebuilding could be very quick.  Lots of good prospects coming on board, and almost a clear Cap the season after next, with one of the signed players (Leino) likely a amnesty buyout.

Sabres.NHL.com is the official Web site of the Buffalo Sabres. The Buffalo Sabres and Sabres.NHL.com are trademarks of the National Hockey League.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2010 Hockey Western LLC and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.

PRIVACY POLICY | TERMS AND CONDITIONS | OFFICIAL PARTNERS | CONTACT US | EMPLOYMENT/INTERNSHIPS | NHL.com TERMS OF USE | SITE MAP
  Buffalo Junior Sabres Buffalo Sabres Alumni Association Buffalo World Juniors Rochester Americans First Niagara Center Buffalo Bandits